Virtually every corner of our life is touched by ISO standards. What began as a method for standardizing weights and measures has evolved into both a philosophy and a series of processes that maintain quality in just about everything we encounter on a day to day basis. Our health and safety, the food we eat, the cars we drive, the toys our children play with, the medical devices at the local hospital, the environment around us — they are all impacted in one way or another by the governing principle behind ISO: maintaining the reliability and efficiency of products and services in our lives.
ISO 9001 is an internationally recognized standard that specifies the requirements for a Quality Management System (QMS) in a company. QMS impacts a company at every level, from daily administrative operations, to product development, marketing and sales, and through post-market customer service.
Why commit to ISO certification?
To put it simply: For a business, achieving ISO certification translates into a clearly visible commitment to be the best. And that’s a commitment that Genohm takes very seriously. At a fast-growing company like ours, ISO certification is another strong signal that you, as a customer, can trust us to always deliver the highest quality of products and services.
When it comes to running a business, there are a number of concrete benefits that come with ISO certification:
- ISO 9001 is recognized internationally. It adds an important level of validation to a company in terms of quality management.
- ISO requirements improve customer satisfaction. Having satisfied customers means better customer retention, great word of mouth recommendations, and ultimately, higher revenues for a company.
- Linking the process approach to the risk management process results in a more holistic business process from start to finish. This holistic approach leads to an overall improvement in efficiency and, just as important, a reduction in costs for a business.
- With ISO 9001, important decision-making is based on quantifiable data, rather than on conjecture. Knowledge becomes a vital resource for the company and unreliable guesswork is eliminated.
- ISO standards ensure that the importance of employees and external stakeholders is clearly underlined. When employees and stakeholders are engaged in a positive dynamic, the company becomes more productive. As a result, our products and services remain in a cycle of constant improvement.
- Finally, by regularly setting goals, evaluating, and improving, ISO 9001 standards foster a culture of excellence throughout the company — at all levels.
Why ISO 9001:2015 certification is important for Genohm and its customers
Genohm was originally certified in 2014 for the :2008 version of ISO 9001. Among many things, certification ensured that Genohm put in place a global quality environment with qualified procedures, documentation, and appropriate training to support our highly-skilled employees. This allowed our company to consistently achieve the highest quality standard for SLIMS, our integrated Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) platform.
Genohm recently announced that we have successfully achieved ISO 9001:2015 certification, the latest updated version of ISO 9001. In this latest version, requirements for achieving certification standards are updated and allow companies to:
- improve communication and administrative processes, both internal and external
- become more cost-efficient
- increase credibility and competitiveness
- use resources more effectively to lower costs and shorten cycle times
- enhance customer satisfaction, loyalty, and retention
- become more flexible and responsive to market opportunities, leading to higher revenues and market share
- enhance productivity through integration and alignment of processes
- increase consistency in market delivery of product and services
Continuing to foster a commitment to customer satisfaction
Adapting to a fast-changing business environment is critical for a company like Genohm that is active in scientific sectors at the forefront of technology. Upgrading to ISO 9001:2015 was a crucial challenge for us, one that we were eager to take on. Achieving the upgrade is a clear demonstration of our commitment to maintain the highest level in our Quality Management System (QMS).
“We are very satisfied about achieving the new ISO 9001:2015 certification,” says Martijn Devisscher, COO at Genohm. “Genohm is a very goal-oriented company. We have always maintained a no-nonsense, pragmatic approach to the development of Genohm. That is exactly the ISO-approach that our Quality Team took when tackling the new regulation.”
Taking on the challenges of achieving ISO 9001:2015 certification was a valuable exercise in strengthening teamwork throughout the company. “We are very proud of our Quality Team,” says Devisscher. “They had a very ambitious roadmap and they involved and motivated the whole company to work together towards achieving the updated ISO 9001:2015 certification. At the end, it was a true team effort at every level.”
The focus of ISO 9001:2015 on customer satisfaction has a very direct impact on SLIMS users. Genohm is required to monitor customer perception of how we meet their needs and expectations. It’s not a new emphasis for us, we have always remained close to our customers. In fact, developing a customer-friendly approach to our products and customer service have long been a hallmark of how we do business. The upgraded :2015 regulations give us additional tools to solidify that customer satisfaction in even more ways.
“This certification is a sign to our customers, current and future, of our profound commitment to quality,” stresses Devisscher. “It reflects the efficient development of our SLIMS product, and that translates into higher value and a better customer experience for our clients.”
For more information about ISO 9001:2015 certification at Genohm, please visit our website.
Click here to learn more about SLIMS, our fully customizable LIMS + ELN platform.